As a systems administrator, I have to hop from one system to another and I have to keep an eye on the system information and configuration while I’m working on that system to better understand the way it is configured and troubleshooting also gets easier. In this mobile environment I need to have a portable System Information tool which gives a detailed overview of the system software as well as hardware. Windows built-in tools are not good enough to rely on.
SIW comes handy in this situation. SIW is an advanced System Information for Windows tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings and displays it in an extremely comprehensible manner.
SIW gives the following information in detail:
- Software Information: Operating System, Installed Software and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Installed Codecs, Software Licenses (Product Keys / Serial Numbers / CD Key), Secrets (Password Recovery).
- Hardware Information: Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers.
- Network Information: Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections, Open Ports.
- Network Tools: MAC Address Changer, Neighborhood Scan, Ping, Trace, Statistics
- Miscellaneous Tools: Eureka! (Reveal lost passwords hidden behind asterisks), Monitor Test, Shutdown / Restart.
- Real-time monitors: CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
The good thing about SIW is that it’s free and it is stand-alone. So we can easily keep it in the USB Flash drive and use it directly from the drive whenever needed. It’s a must have utility for systems admins.
SIW for Windows – Multilingual