What demographic still uses cable TV?

A great part of overall TV usage is still signified by Live and on-demand TV and it holds much more significance than streaming services such as Netflix and Disney. Though we must consider the fact and reports that one-fifth of Americans previously subscribed to a traditional TV package will have stopped relying on it, and this was predicted by an e-marketer report.

Even though streaming is not effective means of consuming visual content in the US, it will eventually be one, in the coming future and henceforth “streaming wars” do matter. This situation is the opposite of traditional TV. Practically, subscribers are being damaged by each significant US cable or satellite provider which includes names like Spectrum cable that has its footprint in more than 40 states and still growing.

In this article, we are going to highlight all the crucial facts and statistics that tell us what demographic still uses cable TV and how it is being consumed so far. So, without further delay, let’s get to the facts:

  • According to Nielsen’s 2020 Total Audience Report, watching traditional television (including live, on-demand, and DVR) consumes 27 hours of an average adult in the US.
  • The same report stated that only 19% of the video usage on TV sets in streaming-capable US households is employing a subscription streaming service, Nielsen did not classify the remaining 81% of TV use other than stating that it consists of unification of traditional TV, watching DVDs, and playing video games.
  • If we do not include  DVR or on-demand, Americans have streamed approximately three and a half hours of traditional TV in a day, in the year 2019 (less than three hours and 45 minutes in 2018). In case it’s compared, they watched only 38 minutes of content every day, even though it was higher than the previous year’s 29 minutes time frame.
  • Older demographics determine the occurrence of old-school TV watching by a cable or satellite provider (or via antennae). Americans of age 65 years and older yet watch 46.5 hours of normal TV in a week (vs. 4.6 hours of non-TV video usage), whereas people aged 18-to-34 years watch only 11 hours of direct TV per week.
  • The tendency of depending on traditional TV for content increases with the old age of viewers. Similarly, there’s a high possibility of young Americans watching content on different devices.
  • 65-year-olds and above stream content for 49 minutes whereas younger people ages 18 to 34 watch for 3 hours. The youngest adult population streams a similar volume of content on different devices just as they stream on TVs.
  • Just 5% of bundle users say they largely use cable or satellite services for on-demand TV and nobody uses a cable and/or satellite TV for on-demand movies.
  • 28% of Americans predominantly use their cable TV and/or satellite service for viewing non-network TV programs which include shows on AMC or Discovery, etc., and above a quarter of participants use it for TV network programs.
  • Live sports and news broadcasts are not enormous attractions with merely 8% saying they use the on-demand feature for viewing live sports. 5% of them watch their local news and just 5% use this feature for watching the national news.
  • In Nielsen’s study of TV viewers, a percentage of 91% of Americans told that they have availed the subscription of at least one streaming service. The other 93% stated that there was a chance they might either keep the present number of subscriptions or increase it. The probability of reducing them was declared by only 3%.

Conclusive Notes

Cable TV is evolving in conjunction with our watching habits, but then again by no means is cable TV services are on the decline or becoming extinct. Quite the opposite, we are receiving more programming than ever before, and people can revel in what they desire when they like thanks to the DVR, on-demand, streaming apps services given by the cable companies. It would be interesting to comprehend how the new period treats cable and its audiences alongside the intensification of online services. There is a lot more that can be said, however, we hope the information shared above has patted your interest.

Technize is a team of tech enthusiasts and experts who loves sharing the best computer hardware, software, and gadgets. We also write reviews on PC Build, networking, computer components, and other related topics. It's our goal to offer you insightful reviews that will help you in choosing your next computer component or gadget.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.