The need to lock or disable the keyboard arises when you only need to use the mouse, and the keyboard becomes a hindrance. Moreover, it is also an issue when you are cleaning your keyboard. Locking your keyboard also becomes necessary when a curious or playful member of the family is trying to access your computer’s contents when you are away. Lastly, locking a keyboard is also essential for a house with pets lest they decide to play with your laptop or computer and ruin your work.
Table of Contents
Simple Ways You Can Disable Your Keyboards on Windows 10
Use Device Manager to disable the keyboard
One of the simplest ways to lock your keyboard is through the Device Manager’s power user menu.
- To access the power user menu, place your cursor over the Start button on your computer screen and right-click on it.
- Then, a power list emerges, which is quick access to your computer’s programs or interface.
- Select the fifth item on the menu called the Device Manager.
- On the next screen, you would see a list of hardware or devices connected to your computer.
- From the list, expand the item called keyboards. Now highlight the name of the keyboard and press right-click over it.
- Next, click on Uninstall.
- Then, you would require the computer to disable the keyboard.
- Upon restarting your computer, you would notice that the keyboard has been disabled.
Here is a video tutorial to help you complete the steps:
Keypad lock software
Keypad lock software can be beneficial when you have a toddler around you who watches videos on your laptop or a video call with them in the vicinity. This software will help you watch videos or enjoy a video call in peace.
This lock software is perhaps one of the simplest and easiest keypad lock software. All you need to do to lock both the keypad and the mouse is click on the large button. Then, the short countdown from 5 to 1 begins, and the keyboard and mouse get locked in after 5 seconds.
To unlock the keyboard, press the Ctrl + Alt + Del combination on your keyboard, and the keyboard and mouse get unlocked immediately. The KeyFreeze software is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Vista, and both the 32-bits and 64-bits versions of Windows 10.
The video below demonstrates how to install KeyFreeze on your computer.
Of all the keypad lock software, this one goes beyond simply locking the mouse and the keyboard. It can also disable the Power button and cease the functioning of the CD-ROM trays. The disabling of the power button, however, only works in Windows XP. If you forget to lock the mouse and keyboard, you can use the autolocking feature to lock your keyboard when there is a defined period of inactivity.
However, one of the most impressive features of the Toddler Keys software is the option to insert pictures and sounds via the media manager. This feature keeps your toddler engaged because an image appears with an accompanying sound every time they press a key on the keyboard.
To unlock either the keyboard or the mouse, you have a TK icon on the system tray. With a right-click or double-click, you would get the option to unlock either the keyboard or the mouse or both.
While locking the keyboard, you must type quit or choose your word via the Option feature to exit the locked screen. The Toddler Keys software works from Windows XP to Windows 7.
Enable/ Disable numeric keypad
There are different ways to do a number lock. Let us look at the two main ways to do so.
Enabling and disabling number lock: If you are using a laptop, use the Fn plus F7, F8, or Insert simultaneously to enable the number lock. Before you do so, you must save and minimize all your work and browser tabs. Now try to use the mouse or keyboard; you will notice that it is disabled.
You would need to do an Fn + F7, F8, or Insert again to unlock it. This time, you can use your mouse to open your browsers and files from the taskbar.
Suppose you are using a desktop. Then, press NUM LOCK or SCROLL LOCK to enable the function. Press it again to disable the function.
Note for those using laptop:
The key combinations to enable and disable number locks differ for different brands.
- Fn + F4 (Dell)
- Fn + F8 (HP)
- Fn + Nmlk (ASUS, Lenovo)
- Fn + Num Lock (Gateway, Sony)
- Ctrl + F11
- Fn + F11 (Samsung, Toshiba and Acer)
- Shift + Num Lock
- Fn + F11 + Scroll lock
- Fn + Shift + Num Lock
Enabling and disabling number lock using the virtual keyboard
You can also enable and disable the numeric keyboard via the virtual keyboard by following these steps.
- Click on the Start button.
- Double-click on Accessories on the left-hand side.
- Double Click on Ease of Access.
- Open the virtual keyboard by clicking on the option with the same name.
- On the virtual board, click on Option, which is on the right-hand side in the last row.
- In the dialogue box that appears, check the Turn on numeric key pad option to enable the number lock and keep it unchecked to disable the number lock.
Using the virtual keyboard
Knowing how to use a virtual keyboard can help when you want to prevent others from using your keyboard and if your keyboard or specific keys have stopped working, and you need another way to access them urgently.
Here are the steps to access the virtual keyboard on a laptop:
- Go to the Start button.
- Click on All Programs.
- Open the Accessories folder present on the left-hand side.
- Open the Ease of Access folder.
- Double click on the Virtual Keyboard option.
Disabling Laptop keyboard
You can disable it via the Device Manager. These are the steps for both Windows 10 and other operating systems.
Disabling the keyboard on Windows 10:
- Open the search bar at the bottom, on the left-hand corner of the taskbar.
- Type in Device Manager on the search bar.
- Double click on the Device Manger option on the result page.
- A new list comes up on the screen. Scroll down and expand the Keyboard option.
- After expanding the Keyboard section, highlight the name of the keyboard that you want to disable.
- Right-click and select Uninstall Device.
- On the pop-up box, click Yes to confirm.
- Your computer will restart on its own.
- Once your system is online, your keyboard will not work.
- Follow the same procedure to enable the keyboard but in the last step, choose Install Device.
Here is a video tutorial for the steps mentioned above:
For other operating systems:
- Click on the Start button.
- On the search bar, type Device Manager.
- From the list that appears, expand the Keyboards option.
- Highlight the name of the keyboard and use the right-click button on it.
- Click on the Uninstall button.
- Your laptop will restart on its own.
- Once your system is back on, your keyboard will be disabled.
- To enable the keyboard, follow the same procedure but select Install in the end.
You can also use the shortcut keys on your keyboard to disable the keyboard or mouse, as shown in the video below.
In writing this article, I intend to provide you a one-stop solution for your queries related to locking or disabling the keyboard on your laptop. I know how it feels to redo an entire project because someone accidentally played with/touched your keyboard for those of you working on important projects or official work on your laptops. I hope this article has been of use to you. Please share this article and leave a comment below to offer feedback or let us know what you think.