If you are a designer, an engineer, or an architect, you’ve probably heard of AutoCAD. It is a graphics-based designer software which has replaced the old school method of designing on pen and paper.
There are thousands of laptops on the market that are built for this kind of work, so choosing one can be somewhat confusing. For your benefit, we have reviewed some of the best laptops for AutoCAD which, hopefully, makes the process a bit easier.
Since AutoCAD is a demanding software, it requires a computer with good configuration and powerful graphics to function properly. Let's take a look at the options we think are worth looking into.
Best Laptops for AutoCAD
1. ASUS ROG GU502GW-AH76 Zephyrus M Thin and Portable Gaming Laptop
This is one of our top picks. If you want to buy the best Laptop for AutoCAD and you're too lazy to do the research, you can buy this one with your eyes closed.
The laptop comes with an Intel Core i7-9750H Hexa-core Processor. This is the latest 9th Gen processor, so it can definitely handle applications like AutoCAD.
This laptop has a 6″ Full HD, 1920×1080, 240Hz 3ms 15 IPS Type Pantone Validated Display. Now you can clearly see every inch of your work without having to zoom in, over and over again.
With this laptop you can run AutoCAD for long hours without a hitch. We say this because the laptop comes with a special dual 12V fans and ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system. This means that, even after hours of use, your laptop will still be nice and cool.
This laptop also features an anti-dust technology system with adjustable fan modes, so your laptop will now need less maintenance.
- RGB keyboard for people who love a good looking laptop
- Comes with 12V fans that have adjustable speeds
- Can be run for long hours without overheating
- Anti-dust technology and ROG intelligent cooling system
- 6″ Full HD, 1920×1080, 240Hz 3ms 15 IPS Type Pantone Validated Display
- Does not have the best battery life
2. Alienware New M15 Gaming Laptop
One thing that the best laptop for ‘Cad needs to have is a good battery life. Without one, using your laptop for long hours becomes quite difficult.
If the main thing you are looking for in an AutoCAD laptop or gaming laptop is a good battery, then we would highly recommend this one from Alienware. It comes with a powerful lithium-ion battery with 76Whr which allows you to game and work nonstop without needing a recharge.
To help you use the laptop for long hours, the unit comes with a unique hexagon pattern. This enhances the airflow and allows you to use the laptop for long hours without worrying about overheating.
As this is a gaming laptop, you get the option to choose any color from the RGB spectrum to light up its external areas. You can see these lights in the rear vents and on the faces of the alien. Also, due to the hyper-efficient voltage regulation, you get unprecedented performance.
This is one of the most lightweight laptops on the market. It is designed to be carried with you anywhere and everywhere you go. Building materials, such as magnesium alloy and copper, are what makes this laptop lightweight and portable.
- Unique hexagon pattern keeps the laptop cooler for a longer time
- Hyper-efficient voltage regulation for better performance
- Made with copper and magnesium alloy for a lightweight body
- Rear vents and face of the alien lights up
- Powerful 76Whr battery that allows you to use the laptop for long hours
- No type C charging
3. MSI GS65 Stealth-006 15.6″ 144Hz Ultra-Thin and Light Gaming Laptop
Working for long hours means staring at the screen for long hours. This also means that you need a laptop with a high-quality screen that will be soft on your eyes.
This laptop from MSI GS65 has a great wide-angle, anti-glare 15.6-inch display that allows you to view your work in detail. That is why this is one of the top choices: you can stare at this screen for hours without damaging your eyes.
With an Intel Core i7 8750H 2.2: 4.1GHz processor and 16GB of RAM, this laptop can handle high volumes of work without slowing down.
For graphics, you get the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6G GDDR6 which is really great because high-quality graphics are a necessity for AutoCAD users. This laptop helps you achieve better results with your work because of the great graphics features.
This laptop is loved by all AutoCAD users. It has a great battery life and performs well. If you go with this laptop, you will be able to use it for years without worrying about repurchase or maintenance. Its affordable price also makes this laptop a boon to students, so if you’re a student, this might be the one for you.
- Great anti-glare 15.6-inch display with a wide-angle view
- Intel Core i7 8750H 2.2 processor for fast performance
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6G GDDR6 graphics
- 16GM memory
- Affordable and a great option for students
- Can get hot is used for long hours of gaming
4. HP ZBook 15v G5 Mobile Workstation Laptop
HP is a brand that is known for its durability and quality. A laptop from HP will last you years, so the expenditure will be worth it.
This HP laptop has a glossy, 15.6-inch touchscreen display. Its high-speed processor is capable of handling 2D and 3D modeling and other AutoCAD work. Thanks to its Hexa-core, you can now use this laptop for single-core and multi-core applications. Also, hyperthreading allows you to use the handle for mental ray tracing.
What makes this laptop different from others on the market is that it comes with a powerful NVIDIA Quadro P2000 instead of a regular GPU. As a result, you get great graphics which, as we said before, are especially important for AutoCAD users. Also, let’s not forget to mention the fingerprint reader that will keep all your work private and protected.
Finally, there’s a little bit of bad: the battery life can be a bit shaky sometimes, and there is no Wi-Fi 6.
- 32GB RAM for storing all your work and apps with ease
- Touchscreen display that is 15.6 inch with a glossy finish
- The screen is visible even under sunlight
- Comes with a powerful NVIDIA Quadro P2000
- Fingerprint enabled for more privacy
- Battery life is not the best
- Does not have wi-fi 6
5. Lenovo ThinkPad P52s Mobile Workstation Ultrabook Laptop
Getting a laptop with good storage is always a great idea. It lets you store all your work, current and past, without you having to worry about lack of space.
The Intel Core i7-8550U processor is efficient and has a speed of up to 4GHZ. Also, hyper-threading technology separates the core into 8 threads so that there is an integrated regeneration.
If you're a beginner and are just getting started with AutoCAD, you will love the Quadro P500 from NVIDIA. This feature makes adding effects and lights to your work so much easier.
To focus on your work better you have a 15.6-inch display with a great resolution. We’re talking more vibrant colors and brightness (not too harsh, though). Also, there’s a LED-backlit panel that will increase battery life (we always need more battery life!).
Weighing only 4.3 pounds, this is a must-have laptop for architects and designers who are always on the go. Go get it!
- Intel Core i7-8550U processor speed and lag-free working
- Weighs only 4.3 pounds and can be carried easily
- Pre-existing LED-backlit panel for better battery life
- Best options for beginners
- Quadro P500 from NVIDIA option makes adding effects and lights easier
- Not the best battery life
6. Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
The Acer predator is a fan favorite amongst AutoCAD users. People love its high-end features, affordability, durability, and portability.
What makes this laptop so special is that it has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 Ti. This will make your AutoCAD work much smoother, not to mention your gaming experience.
With this laptop’s 4th Gen AeroBlade 3D fan technology you won’t have to worry about overheating when you’re using the laptop for long periods of time. Also, keeping your laptop cool helps make it more durable and lets you experience the laptop features to their fullest.
The 144Hz IPS display screen will give you better control over visuals while rendering your work in true colors. Also, the Predator sense key feature will make your work easier as it allows you to customize keys for quicker access.
- latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 Ti illustrations for lag-free gaming and smoother operation
- Can be upgraded easily without any noticeable change in working speed or lag
- 4th gen aero blade 3D fan technology to keep the laptop cooler
- 144Hz IPS display screen for better visuals vibrancy
- Lightweight construction for easy carrying
- Predator sense key helps you customize the laptop according to your wish
- No cons found
7. Razer Blade 15 Gaming Laptop
With Razer’s new edge-to-edge design, this laptop is a great option for any AutoCAD user.
To help you see the screen better, the laptop has a matte screen. It might not look great under normal lighting conditions (i.e., indoors), however, outdoors, the matte screen is going to be your best friend. The screen also has a 100% sRGB and a 144Hz refresh rate.
This versatile laptop will run AutoCAD with ease. When you’re not working, you can also use this device for hardcore gaming or content creating. This laptop is up for any challenge.
For storage, you get 16GB ram, which is decent for a laptop at this price. You will still be able to save plenty of large files and apps on this laptop and get good performance.
To keep all your precious documents protected, there is a trio of locking features as. This laptop has Windows Hello facial recognition software, a good-quality webcam and IR recognition feature, and a fingerprint lock. Now that’s some heavy-duty protection!
- Matte screen helps you see better even in the sunlight
- 100% sRGB and 144Hz refresh rate
- Can be used for gaming and content creating as well
- 16 GB ram lets you store large files and apps with ease
- IR recognition, Fingerprint lock, and hello instant facial unlock feature to keep your files protected
- Webcam quality is great
- The keyboard is not of good quality
8. Dell G5 15 Gaming Laptop
Dell is not the most inexpensive brand, but their laptops are worth every penny. They perform great under pressure and will last you years.
With its 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H, you will be able to work better and faster. The smooth operation this laptop provides is exactly what makes Dell a prime choice for AutoCAD users.
A double drive makes sure that you can store all of your files without worrying about storage. And, for ease of work, the Wi-Fi performance has been enhanced, so will you experience fewer interruptions.
This elegant and sleek laptop doesn’t let on to the fact that it’s great for gaming, AutoCAD, and whatever else you have up your sleeve. It looks quite chic and will surely go with anyone's style.
- Soft-touch keyboard for easier and faster typing
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H to achieve your goals much faster
- Double drive for storing all your necessary files
- Dell laptops last for ages
- Looks classy and elegant, not a loud design
- Not the cheapest; might be difficult to purchase if you are a student
9. ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop
This laptop has it all. It looks stylish, yet simple, so people of any age can use it. It is light and portable and has a great battery life. It has all the features that an AutoCAD user looks for in a laptop.
NVIDIA's GeForce GTX Graphics is a must-have feature in all AutoCAD laptops. Without this feature, creating good quality designs becomes quite difficult. Also, this graphic card is what makes this laptop excellent for gaming. Special features include a thin body design and an enhanced screen-to-body ratio.
This laptop’s battery and processor work in harmony to keep the laptop as cool as possible. This keeps the laptop in better health for a longer time and also allows you to use it for long stretches.
One minor design flaw is found in the edges: they are a bit too sharp.
- Great laptop for multitasking
- The battery and the processor reduce and eliminate overheating for a longer product life
- A great option for architects and designers on the go
- Incredible graphics can be used for gaming as well
- Edges are a bit sharp and pointy
10. Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming Laptop
We've already mentioned our love of good batteries on laptops. The battery life is a vital feature for laptops, especially when you are buying them for AutoCAD.
With the Lenovo IdeaPad, you can run your laptop for hours. This is a great option if you are a student who does not want to carry around a heavy laptop charger. With the right battery life mode selected, this laptop will last through all your classes and then some.
The latest 9th Gen Intel Hexa-Core i7-9750H Processor ensures that you can complete your work twice as fast. This processor also makes the laptop great for occasional gaming – who doesn't love a laptop that can do both?
The widescreen display is great for AutoCAD users as it allows for better attention to detail which makes for great quality and productivity. And the up-to-date built-in Bluetooth provides for an even smoother experience: you can transfer files and connect to all kinds of speakers and devices within seconds.
Finally, the backlit keyboard helps you work in the dark. Not only is this feature helpful; it looks great on a laptop.
- Great battery life for long time use; will last through all your classes
- A backlit keyboard that helps you work in the dark and makes your laptop look cool as well
- Easy Bluetooth connectivity for quicker connection with devices
- Great display; suitable for AutoCAD users
- The fast processor helps you occasionally game as well
- Not slim
Best Laptops for AutoCAD: Quick Answers
How much RAM do I need for AutoCAD?
To run AutoCAD smoothly on a computer or laptop, you need at least 4GB of RAM. However, even with 4GB RAM, you won’t be able to use the latest version of AutoCAD. You will have to use the previous version, which is rarely available.
Is 4GB RAM enough for AutoCAD?
Unfortunately, the software requires a good deal of memory space to function properly; therefore, 4GB is not enough for AutoCAD. For the latest version of AutoCAD, 8 GB is what you’ll need. However, 18GB will give you a better user experience.
Is i5 enough for AutoCAD?
Depending on the generation. If you are using a fairly newer generation of core i5, then i5 is more than good enough. However, with the processor, you need at least a 2GB graphics card and 8GB of RAM. If you have that, you’re good to go.
Is i3 enough for AutoCAD?
The relatively newer generation of i3 will support the software; however, it will not run smoothly, so we don’t recommend it for professional use. Go for the latest processor if you plan for long-term usage.
What should I look for when buying a laptop for architecture?
Most designing software used by architects requires high-end configurations; they require a lot of processing speed, memory space, and graphics. Therefore, it is important to look for software requirements (they are usually provided by software creators), that way you can find suitable laptops.
We hope this article has helped clear up any confusion you may have had. The laptops listed above are some of the best laptops for AutoCAD currently available. Below we have provided a table that summarizes some of the more important features of the laptops we reviewed. Thanks for reading!
|ASUS ROG GU502GW-AH76 Zephyrus M Thin and Portable Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-8550U||15.6 inch||16GB|
|Alienware New M15 Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-9750H||15.6 inch||16GB|
|MSI GS65 Stealth-006 15.6″ 144Hz Ultra Thin and Light Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-8750H||15.6 inch||16GB|
|HP ZBook 15v G5 Mobile Workstation Laptop||Intel Core i7-8750H||15.6 inch||32GB|
|Lenovo ThinkPad P52s Mobile Workstation Ultrabook Laptop||Intel Core i7-8550U||15.6 inch||16GB|
|Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-9750H||15.6 inch||16GB|
|Razer Blade 15 Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-9750H||15.6 inch||16GB|
|Dell G5 15 Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i7-9750H||15.6 inch||16GB|
|ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i5-9300H||15.6 inch||8GB|
|Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop||Intel Core i5-9300H||15.6 inch||8GB|