If you’ve recently joined an engineering school, it might be time to throw away that old laptop you bought just for watching movies and look into getting a new, professional one.
As a mechanical engineering student, your workload will be intense; you’ll need to do quite a lot of projects on your computer so it must be able to handle the pressure. Your laptop will need to have high processing power, a good deal of RAM, a decent graphics card, and so on.
Below is a list of the ten best laptops for mechanical engineering students; any one of these will provide great value at a great price.
10 Best Laptops for Mechanical Engineering Students
1. HP ENVY 13-13.99 Inches Thin Laptop w/ Fingerprint Reader
Appearances make an impression. And with the HP Envy, you’ll make a strong one. Its full-bodied metal case makes it shine brighter than the other laptops in the room. Also, the keyboard is brilliantly backlit and comfortable to work with.
The speakers are on top of the keyboard, they have a heavily patterned geometric grill that further enhances the laptop’s appearance and emit a clear and crisp sound.
The laptop runs a 4K IPS micro-edge WLED touchscreen that measures about 13.3 inches and is fully protected by Gorilla Glass. With its 8.2 million pixels, the display will give you crystal clear pictures and bright colors that will provide you with the most accurate visuals.
You can change the viewing angles to 178 degrees. This will come in handy when you’re showing your project to a teacher on your device or need a different angle to work from.
A BIOS recovery software is integrated into the system which will monitor your computer’s health. It’ll provide features like preventing unauthorized access and keeping stored items ready for back-up in case the laptop encounters rebooting issues. Also, this laptop is equipped with a cutting-edge security webcam kill switch and a fingerprint reader.
Finally, we come to the heart of the laptop: its processor.
This laptop features an 8th Gen Intel i7-8565u, quad-core processor with a base frequency of 1.8 GHz that goes up to 4.6 GHz and comes with Intel Turbo Boost technology that will speed it up even further when necessary.
This laptop has 16GB of memory of, which is DDR4-2400 SDRAM. Unfortunately, it is not upgradable. This laptop will run for 12 hours and 45 minutes straight if you’re using it for basic purposes.
If you’re watching videos, it’ll last for 9 hours and 45 minutes. And with wireless streaming, you’re going to get about 5 hours and 45 minutes of screen time.
- The touchpad can be disabled
- The fingerprint reader tracks your login to keep the device safe
- Type-C and Type-A ports available along with a headphone jack
- Super-fast processor with 8th Gen Intel i7 quad-core technology
- Has a great modern design that will stay fashionable for years
- Comes with the super-durable 4K touchscreen with the unbreakable Corning Gorilla Glass
- Roughly built laptop
- The touchpad is a bit raised on the edges
- The fingerprint sensor is not reliable
- Too expensive
2. Acer Aspire 5 A515-55G-57H8 15.6″
If you want a bigger screen, you might want to consider the Acer Aspire 5. This device comes with a display screen size of 15.6 inches; the screen is full HD with 1920 x 1080 pixels and a widescreen display.
The processor is an 10th Gen Intel i5 processor that runs at about 3.6 GHz. This latest processor will be able to tackle anything you throw at it.
There is a dual-channel 8GB of memory here to help you transfer data faster through the DRAM memory and the controller. There is also solid-state storage of 512 GB, which uses flash memory and is much faster than traditional hard disks.
There is also a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX350, which will produce great quality photos and videos. This technology is seamlessly integrated with the NVIDIA Optimus, which allows it to run at great speeds while letting you enjoy a huge battery life (about 8 hours).
- Memory can be upgraded to 32 GB
- Has an intel core i5 processor with 3.6 GHz speeds
- Big screen that stretches over 15.6 inches overall
- Will provide 8 hours of battery life
- Has a dual-channel memory for faster file transfers
- Bad customer service
- Unreliable monitor that’s not durable in the long run
- The display has some problems
3. Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Laptop
This one from Dell has a 15-inch display as well. It sports a 7th Gen of Intel processor with a quad-core processing power of 2.4 GHz.
This laptop has a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card that runs at the highest speed which allows for smooth rendering games and any other graphics-heavy software.
The display is widescreen full HD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, which will give you crystal clear visual details and sharp color.
The laptop has a card reader and a backlit keyboard. There are several ports – Type A for USB, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, and an HDMI connection port.
The laptop also comes with a DDR4 8GB of RAM, 2400 MHz, and a solid-state drive with a capacity of 256 GB. This is an excellent combination for hardcore gaming, video editing, several CAD works, and so on.
This laptop misses out on nothing. It has everything that a mechanical engineering student could ask for.
- Has a big 15.6-inch screen
- Very clear images from every angle
- The screen is full HD and has IPS
- Comes with many ports for fast connections
- Works very fast due to the addition of the huge SSD card
- Has a fast processor due to the dedicated 1050 Ti graphics card
- Keeps freezing up and requires forced reboots
4. New Apple MacBook Air with Apple M1 Chip
If you’re into sleek designs and can afford higher-end laptops, then the Apple MacBook Air is worthy of your consideration. This is a small laptop, so it’ll be easy to carry. The display measures 13.3 inches and has True Tone technology incorporated into its Retina Display.
This patented Retina Display created by Apple is one of a kind. It provides super high resolution, giving every image saturated pixel density. Colors will appear brighter; shapes and structures will have their true definition. Working long hours with this laptop becomes so much easier just because of the quality of the display.
The processor is a new Apple M1 Chip. It has high computational power that delivers speed without lagging or crashing.
There is also an SSD card for storage and Up to 8-core GPU.
For sound, there are stereo speakers that provide an overall stereo sound. There are two Thunderbolt 3 ports; these are equivalent to USB-C connections.
The memory capacity is 8 GB, which is adequate for storing data and files which you will find well-protected with the security provided by the touch ID which allows the laptop to read your fingerprints and provides reliable security.
- Sleek and clean in appearance
- Packed with the new Apple M1 Chip
- Comes with a dedicated graphics card with a high clock
- Has a brilliant display that’s vivid and fun to look at
- A comfortable and lightweight 13.3-inch laptop that’s effortless to carry everywhere
- No HDMI, regular USB ports, or card readers on the laptop
5. ASUS VivoBook Pro Thin & Light Laptop
If you’re not looking to be fancy, then an excellent functional laptop must be your priority. One that works better than it looks, perhaps?
Well, we’re glad to inform you that the days of compromise are over! You don’t have to sacrifice elegance for performance anymore.
This VivoBook Pro is the latest addition to the world of laptop wonders. It has a large 17.3-inch screen with wide-viewing angles and a rich color gamut of 72% NTSC. No more squinting into the screen to read the tiny font. Your eyes will only be required to do the bare minimum to adjust to this amazing display.
Even with the massive display, this is not a heavy laptop. As we said, there is no compromise here. This laptop weighs less than 5 pounds, which makes it highly portable.
This laptop features the latest generation Intel core i7-8550U processor which has a clocking capacity of 4 GHz Turbo. The processing speed is further enhanced by the discrete GTX 1050. You’ll get satisfying speeds and great visuals from any program you run.
Unlike the Mac, this laptop doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, so we consider this a win-win for anyone looking to save a few bucks.
- Has a lot of ports for all USB and HDMI connections
- Good-looking and super portable laptop
- CPU has a clocking power of 1.8 GHz
- Has a huge hard disk space of 1 TB
- Non-glare matte display that looks great from all angles
- Comes with a discrete 1050 GTX graphics card for better processing
- The display has 1920 x 1080 pixels – a high resolution that produces crystal clear images
- The webcam is super cheap in quality
- Speakers placed at the bottom of the laptop produce muffled sounds
6. Lenovo Y700 – 15.6 FHD Gaming Laptop
Lenovo has been a trusted brand for many years, even though its popularity has waned a bit due to the seemingly outdated appearance of its laptops.
As an engineering student, functionality must be a priority for you. As such, you should not overlook the Lenovo Y700 gaming laptop and its latest tech notations.
The screen is the standard 15.6 inches which is neither too small nor too large and makes it easy to travel with.
This laptop is high-functioning due to its i7 processor and 6th Gen Intel Core unit. There is also a 6700 HQ with a quad-core and a processing power that starts at 2.6 GHz and can be boosted to 3.5 GHz on turbo.
If you’re into hardcore gaming, there is one caveat: the graphics card is GeForce GTX 960M, which has become quite a low-capacity card unable to handle the computation required for newer games. However, this is still a good laptop for engineering purposes because it has a massive storage of 1TB on its hard disk drive, a 256 GB SSD, and runs on a DDR4 16 GB of RAM.
Finally, it comes with a backlit keyboard that will help you pull all-nighters without getting into a fight with your roommate about the lights!
- Bright, big, and sharp display that’s easy on the eyes
- Features a backlit keyboard
- The processor is from Intel’s 6th Generation
- Has a GeForce GTX 960M graphics card
- Comes with large hard disk space, RAM, and SSD flash memory
- RAM is not upgradable
- Poorly built
7. Dell XPS 13 9360 Laptop (13.3″ InfinityEdge Touchscreen FHD (1920×1080)
This is another good-looking laptop from Dell. It has a great quad-core processor that can charge up to turbo speeds of 3.40 GHz.
The i5-8250U has 4 cores and 8 threads along with a 6MB smart cache. The SSD card has a storage of 128 GB, while the LPDDR3 RAM has 8GB.
With this laptop, you’ll have everything you need. You’ll get excellent performance, super high speeds, and long battery life.
The display is a touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, and it measures 13.3 inches. It features InfinityEdge technology that makes viewing experiences even better: watching movies will also be amazing with this laptop.
The keyboard is backlit and there are several ports: two USB 3.0 ports, a card reader, a jack for your headset or earphones, the patented noble lock slot, and thunderbolt ports.
- Has a long battery life and high portability
- 13.3-inch display with InfinityEdge and an FHD touchscreen
- Several ports for fast connections and file transfers
- Comes with an intel core i5 processor with a high turbo of 3.40 GHz
- Built to be durable with an aluminum shell and carbon fiber body
- Has a faulty rebooting system
8. Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
You can kill two birds with one stone with this Acer Predator Helios 300. It’s a gaming laptop with a strong 7th Gen i7 processor that can handle the intense computing required for gaming and making video edits.
It comes with the latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 and a dedicated GDDR5 VRAM of 6GB. You’ll get the best graphics experience and will be able to run games on an ultra-high frame rate of 60 FPS.
The turbo boost will take speeds from 2.8 GHz to 3.8 GHz. The hard disk has a 16GB space on DDR4 DRAM memory, which will give you high speeds and wonderful performance.
The hard disk size is 256 GB, but you can upgrade if necessary, so you’ll be able to get more out of this laptop by simply upgrading it.
As for battery life, this unit’s average battery life is 7 hours.
- Has a great expandable hard drive
- Huge display of 15.6 inches and a wide IPS screen
- Features a red-backlit keyboard
- Integrated with the highly powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
- Has a super silent and effective in-built cooling solution that prevents overheating
- Quickly falls in performance after prolonged use – has rebooting and crashing issues
9. Acer Aspire 7 Casual Gaming Laptop
This one from Acer also comes with an impressive NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, which is by far the fastest graphics card available for any gaming laptop.
Nowadays, many consider the GTX 1050 Ti to be going out of fashion, however, with the Intel Core i7-8750H that comes packed inside this beast of a laptop, this is not necessarily true. Also, let’s not forget to mention the 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM, which runs like butter.
This laptop has a15.6-inch widescreen, which runs full HD and sports an IPS display. The 8GB DDR4 memory of 2400 MHz is designed for overclocking the laptop’s performance while keeping heat levels to a bare minimum.
There is plenty of storage space due to the 128 GB SSD card and hard drive of 1 TB that runs on a cycle of 5400 RPM on the SATA hard drive for fast and perfectly synchronized computational processing.
- Has an intel i7 processor core
- Average battery life is 7 hours
- Turbo speeds go up to 4.1 GHz
- Features a considerably lightweight body
- Has a red-backlit keyboard, several ports, and a fingerprint reader
- Combines perfectly a high-performing GTX 1050 Ti
- The battery has risks of overcharging
10. Omen by HP 2019 15-Inch Gaming Laptop
If you want to make no compromises, we suggest this Omen from HP. It has an 8th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor with 6 cores and speeds that take it all the way up to 42.6 GHz so that you can have the greatest gaming performances.
The big 15.6-inch screen has an anti-glare technology on its FHD IPS display, which makes it easy on the eyes and expands viewing angles so that you can watch a movie with your friends gathered around you.
The display has a refresh rate of 144 Hz, and a WLED backlit keyboard.
It supports a 16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM, which is upgradable with up to 2 memory slots. Also, it has an M.2 SSD that expands internal storage without taking up physical space and still allows the laptop to be lightweight.
The battery will last for about 6 hours 45 minutes for general use. If you’re watching videos, the battery will be able to support a screen time of 4 hours.
- Supports all the latest games of 2021
- Built with the 10th gen intel i7 processor for a superior gaming experience
- Has a big DDR4 SDRAM with 16 GB of storage
- Comes with a backlit keyboard with incredible RGB lighting
- The faulty configuration makes games run at 30 FPS max
- Battery life is a problem that makes the laptop unportable
Best Laptops for Mechanical Engineers: Quick Answers
Why do engineering students need special laptops?
You’ll need a particular laptop because you have to run many graphics- and power-heavy programs for project rendering.
What are the first things to look for in a laptop?
Any high-functioning laptop needs to have a good processor with multiple cores for varied support and a substantial amount of memory space.
What is the lowest RAM suitable for an engineering laptop?
Don’t buy one with less than 8GB RAM.
What is the minimum amount of space my hard disk needs to have?
Your HDD must have a minimum of 250 GB so that it runs smoothly.
Do I need a laptop cooler?
You might not need it at first, but eventually, you will. You can’t let the laptop heat up because that can cause internal damage which is why you want a cooler – it will help maintain appropriate temperature levels.
We hope that this list of the 10 best laptops for mechanical engineering students has helped you find one that is, both, up to your specs and affordable.
With that, we’ll say goodbye. Best of luck! And remember to have fun!