Art has been a part of our daily lives for as long as anyone can remember. Different variations of art exist in today’s world, one of the most common is drawing.
Contrary to how drawing was a few years ago, digital art has become immensely popular; therefore, to aid artists with their work, tons of gadgets are being produced. One such piece of electrical equipment is the laptop.
We’ve provided you with a list of the best drawing laptops in today’s article.
- 10 Best Laptops for Drawing
- 1. Dell XPS 13 – 13.3″ UHD InfinityEdge
- 2. Microsoft Surface Book 2
- 3. Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 15″
- 4. Lenovo Yoga 920
- 5. Acer Spin 3 Convertible Laptop
- 6. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 – 12.3″
- 7. Newest HP Spectre x360-13t Quad Core
- 8. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
- 9. Lenovo Flex 5 14-Inch 2-in-1 Laptop
- 10. 2020 HP Chromebook x360
- Best Laptops for Drawing: Quick Answers
- Which is the best laptop for drawing?
- Is it possible for me to use Photoshop on my Chromebook?
- Should laptops be used for making digital art?
- How much RAM is necessary to be able to do digital art comfortably?
- Is digital art more difficult than traditional art?
- Is traditional art safer than digital art or vice versa?
10 Best Laptops for Drawing
1. Dell XPS 13 – 13.3″ UHD InfinityEdge
Here comes the XPS 13 UHD InfinityEdge from Dell. Those who are accustomed to Dell laptops will find this device’s start menu quite familiar, however, it is much wider than previous models due to its 13.3 inch touchscreen display.
This laptop has a built-in 8th Gen Intel Core i7 8550U processor which, in turn, has a cache capacity of up to four gigahertz. The RAM size of the graphics card is 1 gigabyte.
On the other hand, the graphics coprocessor of this device uses an Intel UHD Graphics 620 processor which provides long-lasting battery life.
A bonus is that almost 90% of this laptop’s hardware is made from materials that can be recycled and the device comes packed in a 100% recyclable box.
Due to the 1TB PCle Solid State Drive storage, this laptop’s system takes only few seconds to start. The 16GB memory allows you to use multiple applications at once without having to worry about the device lagging or prematurely shutting down.
Also, the GORE Thermal Insulation makes sure that this laptop does not overheat up while you’re using it.
- 1GB graphics card integrated
- Uses an Intel chipset
- Long-lasting battery life
- Very lightweight
- Fast working processor
- The size of the text on the screen may be too small due to the small size of the display
2. Microsoft Surface Book 2
Another great device for drawing is the Microsoft Surface Book 2. This laptop uses an 8th Gen Intel Quad Core i7 processor, 512GB of storage space and 16GB of RAM, making this a great product for all of your artwork needs.
Moreover, this device’s long-lasting battery enables you to conduct heavy work for more than 16 hours without having to worries about the system crashing and losing unsaved work.
The professional look of your artwork is enhanced on the Surface Book 2 thanks to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 discrete GPU, which has around 2 gigabytes of GDDR5 Graphics Memory.
This Windows 10 Pro powered laptop is twice as fast as all of its predecessors and fellow Surface Book models, making it great for drawing. It features a 13.5-inch touchscreen with a vibrant PixelSense Display which will make your work much easier. The touchscreen’s display ensures that all corners of your digital artwork receive the proper attention they deserve.
Finally, the USB C- type charging port of this laptop enhances the charging speed of this device.
- Reliable and long-lasting battery life
- The sleek and slim design makes the device very easy to carry around
- 4k touchscreen ensures utmost visual quality, especially during the drawing
- Brightness can be increased a lot more than compared to other i7 laptops
- The storage of this device cannot be upgraded
- The screen cannot be detached while using basic Adobe applications
3. Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 15″
Here we have the Notebook 9 from Samsung. Samsung has included a yellow-colored S pen with this product and the best part about it is that it does not need to be charged which means that you use it for as long as you like.
Moreover, with the S Pen handwriting recognition feature, you can easily convert your rough sketches to actual diagrams. This device’s scratch-proof, ocean-blue colored convertible design allows you to quickly unlock tablet-mode by rotating the laptop and folding the screen.
Built with an Intel 8th generation Core i7 and Gigabit Wi-Fi, this device will allow you to get work done fast regardless of how much multitasking you’re doing. The reason for this is the presence of the integrated 512GB SSD.
No matter where you are, you’ll still be able to view all the contents of your screen as clearly as ever, thanks to the 350nit (for indoor mode) and 500nit (outdoor mode) brightness. Even watching movies and listening to your favorite tracks will be much better when you’re using this laptop due to the dual 5W speakers.
Also, the long-lasting battery will let you watch, listen and/or work all day long.
- Comes with an S pen
- Includes a high-quality mic and AKG Audio system, which produces excellent sound
- Fast and efficient Intel 8th Gen Core i7 processor along with 512GB SSD accounts for easy, stress-free multitasking
- Super lightweight
- Some customers may have received faulty products
4. Lenovo Yoga 920
Yoga 920 from Lenovo has a 4k Ultra High Definition touchscreen, making it extremely useful for drawing. The 13.9″ screen allows for control over every corner of the screen, making sure you feel comfortable when drawing or working on your projects.
The built-in 4 Intel 8th generation Core i7 8550U processors make the device extraordinarily effective capable of handling multiple taskbars.
With the 3840 X 2160 maximum resolution of the responsive touchscreen and the Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics card, this laptop will make your drawing look more realistic.
The 512GB of Flash Memory on this product ensures that you can save as much art as you want without worrying about running out of storage space.
Finally, this product has a long-lasting battery, ensuring that its user can work worry-free on the laptop for hours on end. Unlike other laptops available in the market, this laptop’s SSD can be upgraded.
- Upgradeable SSD
- The lightweight and sleek design makes the device very transportable
- Integrated with 4 speedy 8th generation Intel Core i7 processors
- 4k ultra high definition display makes the product great for completing an artwork
- The system may lag a bit if the updates have not been installed
5. Acer Spin 3 Convertible Laptop
Like one of the laptops that we reviewed earlier in this article, the Spin 3 Convertible laptop from Acer also comes with a rechargeable stylus, which makes drawing on this magnificent device easier.
The 8th Gen Intel Core i7 8565U processor (which has a frequency of up to 4.6 gigahertz) makes the laptop very efficient and fast. This laptop has a 14 inch full HD Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Multi-Touch convertible display, which works to enhance your drawing experience tenfold.
What’s more, the 16GB memory paired with the 512GB PCle NVMe SSD helps the laptop boot-up as fast as possible. It also enables you to save as tons of projects.
The stylus (which has its own compartment) will help you make intricate designs on this 0.78 inches thick, super-lightweight laptop. Also of note is the high-quality sound produced by the two front-facing speakers.
- Highly responsive touchscreen with 4k display
- Integrated with 8th gen Intel core i7 processor which makes it fast and reliable
- Comfortable keyboard provides a great typing experience
- Included Acer stylus assists in creating intricate designs
- Larger screen-to-body ratio with 0.38 inches thick bezel
- Some customers may have received faulty products
6. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 – 12.3″
This matte black laptop from Microsoft has a 12.3-inch touchscreen with a 2736 X 1824 maximum resolution resulting in an excellent display no matter what you’re doing. The built-in Intel Iris Plus Graphics coprocessor and graphics card further ensure that the device always has an optimum display.
This laptop is integrated with Windows 10 Home and a 10th generation Intel Core i7 processor that makes it much faster than most Surface Pro counterparts. Weighing in at only around 1.7 pounds, the Microsoft Surface Pro 7 is also super-slim and features an elegant look.
This laptop’s superfast-charging battery can be recharged to full capacity in just over an hour. Also, you won’t have to worry about the battery dying in the middle of a project because the battery lasts for more than ten and a half hours once it has been fully charged.
Although this device depends mainly on Bluetooth and other wireless means for communication, you’ll still be able to find C and A ports on the side of the laptop which make it suitable for connection to an extensive range of other devices.
- May be used as either a laptop or as a tablet
- The superfast working processor makes it possible to work on multiple tabs at once
- More than one type of port is available on the device
- Long-lasting battery life
- Some consumers experienced lagging issues on their purchased goods
7. Newest HP Spectre x360-13t Quad Core
The Spectre x360 from HP flaunts a 13.3-inch display screen with a diagonal FHD IPS and a micro-edge WLED backlight, which helps keep the screen illuminated and bright at all times. It also comes with an HP Active Stylus, which makes this an excellent drawing laptop.
This device is equipped with an 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U processor and an Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics coprocessor. It guarantees a fantastic drawing experience since you’ll be able to multitask without any problems.
Its touch screen has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080, which further ensures that your drawing looks more professional and neat because it gives you ample space to work on your art. Also, the HP imagepad also supports more than one touch gesture.
Additionally, the battery lasts for up to fourteen hours which provides peace of mind, knowing that you do not have to rush to complete your work when the laptop is not charging.
If you like to listen to audio tracks while working on a project, this product is the best for you due to the fantastic sound quality produced by the Bang & Olufsen quad speakers and the HP audio boost system.
- Fast working processors
- The fingerprint sensor is placed on the side of the device, which helps it to stay out of the way
- Tiny arms prevent the keyboard from touching the surface when the laptop is in tablet mode
- The laptop does not start heating up even after hours of use
- It may be a bit difficult to convert it to tablet mode
8. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
The Surface Pro 6 from Microsoft is the predecessor of the Surface Pro 7, which we reviewed above.
Its 12.3″ wide touchscreen may be used either as a laptop where the keyboard will be working or as a tablet where the keyboard will be deactivated.
The four 8th Gen Intel Core i5 processor gives the Windows 10 Home operating system the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously without running entirely out of charge.
On average, the battery will last about six hours, but this could differ. This laptop is extremely portable with its weight of only 1.7 pounds and its super sleek design.
The 2736 X 1824 maximum resolution will help make your artwork look even more vibrant. This device comes with an Intel UHD Graphics 620 card, which further enhances its great display.
If you wish to improve your drawing even more with the Microsoft Surface Pro 6, you could purchase a rechargeable stylus to give your artwork more precision and intricate detail.
- Elegant design, lightweight and extremely portable
- Great picture and audio quality
- Long-lasting battery life and the device will seldom get heated up
- The device will be able to handle a lot of applications smoothly
- A few customers have complained about receiving defective products
9. Lenovo Flex 5 14-Inch 2-in-1 Laptop
We’re nearing the end of our list, and for the ninth product of the day, we have another laptop from Lenovo. The 14-inch Full HD IPS touchscreen display of the Flex 5 will provide you with the most vibrant images regardless of viewing angle you. This feature makes this product great for drawing because you’ll still be able to add details from any angle without having to strain your eyes too much to see what is going on the screen.
Also, you do not have to go through the hassle of typing in your password when unlocking your laptop, as the Lenovo Flex comes with a sensitive fingerprint pass-lock option which ensures that only you have access to the contents of your device.
Draw anytime, anywhere with the speedy, high-quality Intel processor and 128GB Pie SSD while saving tons of art drafts on this laptop’s 16GB of maximum memory.
- Reasonably priced
- 14″ full HD touchscreen display
- Can be used as a tablet as well
- Equipped with a 1TB hard drive for extra storage space
- Some customers have experienced issues where the screen turned grey
10. 2020 HP Chromebook x360
Let’s have a look at the Chromebook x360 from HP. This 8th Gen Intel Core i3 8130U-powered laptop has a 14″ diagonal FHD IPS micro-edge display with a WLED-backlit multi-touch feature.
The 8GB DDR4 2400 SDRAM memory helps this laptop run smoothly even when multitasking while the 64GB eMMC flash memory ensures that the laptop does not take too long to start. Also, the C-type charging port enables quick charging while the microSD media card reader allows you to increase your laptop’s storage space.
Carry this laptop wherever you go by simply flipping it at a 360-degree angle to enable tablet mode, which will automatically deactivate the keyboard.
- Ports other than C-type ones are also integrated into the body of the device
- Strong metallic body
- Easy transitioning to tablet mode
- High-speed processor and recharging ability
- Keyboard backlights help to spot the keys in the dark
- A few customers have complained about not receiving adequate customer service
Best Laptops for Drawing: Quick Answers
Which is the best laptop for drawing?
Although all of the laptops mentioned above have great features, we would like to nominate the Samsung Notebook 9. It comes with an S pen that does not require charging and can be used anytime, anywhere.
Is it possible for me to use Photoshop on my Chromebook?
Sadly, it is not possible to run this application on a Chromebook since the Chrome OS is not compatible with Photoshop; any attempts at doing so might cause the device to lag.
Should laptops be used for making digital art?
Yes, of course. If you’re only getting started with digital art and do not own a computer as of yet, then it is perfectly okay to opt for a laptop. If you do not know where to start looking for one, check out our list above to get a better idea.
How much RAM is necessary to be able to do digital art comfortably?
A laptop with a RAM of anywhere between 8-16GB would be good enough, but if you can afford it, try going for a laptop that has 32GB RAM.
Is digital art more difficult than traditional art?
No, digital art is much easier than drawing on paper since you’ll be able to undo or redo as many times as you would like. Also, when it comes to coloring, you can color whole sections simply by using a fill once you have chosen the correct settings.
Is traditional art safer than digital art or vice versa?
Generally speaking, traditional or hand-drawn artworks are less likely to be copied and plagiarized; the same cannot be said for digital art.
That is all for our review of the best laptops for drawing. We hope this article was able to clarify whatever doubts you might have had regarding any of the products listed above. Thank you for reading!